Video and renderings courtesy UrbanARCH with Alliiance
Memphis International Airport (MEM) is in the midst of its plan to modernize and consolidate airline and retail operations in Concourse B.
The multiphase, multiyear plan includes the addition of moving walkways, wider corridors, larger boarding areas, higher ceilings and natural lighting. The plan will consolidate airline, retail and food and beverage operations in Concourse B. Retail and food/beverage options will remain intact in the ticketing area.
The project includes the removal of the south ends of the A and C Concourses to allow for unobstructed access by aircraft to the entire B Concourse.
Highlights of the Concourse B Modernization
- Consolidation of Airlines: Airlines were spread out across three concourses, but the modernization project will move all airline operations to Concourse B. While Concourses A and C will be closed, gates will be retained in these areas to accommodate future growth. Until the consolidation, Concourses A and C will remain fully operational.
- Consolidation of Retail, Food and Beverage: Retail operations will also be consolidated into Concourse B. This will expose vendors to a concentrated flow of passengers and will likewise provide passengers with more shopping and dining options.
- Higher Ceilings, Larger Gate Areas, Moving Walkways, and Increased Natural Lighting: The modernized B Concourse will provide passengers with more room to move, additional natural lighting and higher ceilings to create a more open environment. Moving walkways will also help improve the passenger experience. Other features include:
- Children’s play area
- Stage for live music in Rotunda area
- Additional lounge areas
- Additional charging stations
- Seismic Upgrades: The modernization project will allow MEM to perform needed seismic upgrades to the B Concourse.