MEMPHIS, TN (November 12, 2018) – With recent passenger growth trends matching increased capacity by airlines, Memphis International Airport (MEM) is preparing for a significant surge in travelers during the Thanksgiving travel period. The airport estimates that as many as 1,000-1,500 additional passengers per day could travel through MEM during this time. As a result, some vendors are adjusting their hours of operation and the airport plans to employ additional parking measures. Other tips for holiday travelers:
- MEM is recommending that travelers arrive at the airport at least two hours before their departure time to ensure that they have plenty of time to check luggage and go through the security checkpoint.
- Passengers should check frequently with their airlines to monitor schedule changes.
Know What You Can and Can’t Bring Through Security
- In order to expedite security screening time, passengers should review the Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA’s) list of prohibited items.
- More holiday TSA travel tips can be found here.
- MEM’s economy and long-term parking areas may periodically reach capacity during the latter part of Thanksgiving week.
- Additional signage will be added, and additional parking staff will help direct drivers to available parking spots.
- MEM is also prepared to activate an overflow parking area should the economy, short-term and long-term garages reach capacity. Should this occur, additional parking staff will help direct drivers to this lot.
- Drivers who are waiting to pick up arriving passengers can save time by utilizing more than 200 spaces in the airport’s cell phone lot, which is equipped with a flight information board and free Wi-Fi.