Memphis International Airport is preparing for another busy holiday travel week as Christmas approaches. Here are some tips for holiday passengers:
Arrive Early & Check with Airlines Prior to Traveling
- MEM is recommending that travelers arrive at the airport at least two hours before their departure time to ensure that they have plenty of time to check luggage and go through the security checkpoint.
- Passengers should check frequently with their airlines to monitor schedules.
- Each airline has different polices and fees for baggage: check your airline’s website so that you’re familiar with them.
- Airlines rather than the airport are responsible for all aspects of ticketing, scheduling, gate operations and baggage handling. Check with your airline if you have questions about any of these aspects of air travel.
Know What You Can and Can’t Bring Through Security
- In order to expedite security screening time, passengers should review the Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA’s) . Firearms in carry-on bags are prohibited by federal law. Check your bags before you arrive at the airport.
- More holiday TSA travel tips can be found .
- The economy parking area may periodically reach capacity during the week.
- Additional signage will be added, and additional parking staff will help direct drivers to available parking spots.
- MEM is also prepared to activate an overflow parking area should the economy, short-term and long-term garages reach capacity. Should this occur, additional parking staff will help direct drivers to this lot.
- Drivers who are waiting to pick up arriving passengers can save time by utilizing more than 200 spaces in the airport’s cell phone lot, which is equipped with a flight information board and free Wi-Fi.